Personal Grooming, Body Art and Heath Care
We work hard to ensure that when you want to get a tattoo or piercing, or visit a hairdresser, beauty therapist or acupuncturist, you can do it in the knowledge that we monitor these businesses to ensure they provide a safe environment.
If you plan to open a personal grooming or body art business, please send Eastern Health Authority a completed business notification form and make sure you comply with SA laws and guidelines such as:
- South Australian Public Health Act 2011
- the Guidelines on the Safe and Hygienic Practice of Skin Penetration
- the Guidelines on the Public Health Standards of Practice for Hairdressing 2006
You may also need to contact your local council for development approval requirements.
If you have any concern or enquiries about the personal grooming industry, please phone us on 8132 3600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Body art safety tips
While body art such as piercings and tattoos are a personal choice, there are a number of blood borne diseases, such as hepatitis C, hepatitis B, HIV and a range of bacterial infections that can be spread through poor hygiene practices.
You should make an informed choice about getting a tattoo or piercing, and where you get it done. Make sure the studio is clean, and follows best practice infection control such as sterilisation and using disposable needles.
There are a few other things you need to consider:
- if you have an auto-immune condition or cancer, you should consult your doctor before getting a piercing or tattoo
- you can ask the tattooist for a skin test to check you are not allergic to the inks
- it is illegal to pierce the genitals or nipples or anyone younger than 18 years
- you cannot get a tattoo if you are younger than 18 years
SA Health facts sheets provide information about tattooing, body piercing and cosmetic procedures and health, including:
- more about the legislation
- what to consider
- things to ask the operator and what to look for in an operator
- reactions to the treatment
- after care instructions
Did you find this information useful?
Let us know your thoughts on this page and we'll use your feedback to improve our website!
Find out about
- Public Health
- Air Pollution
- Hoarding and Squalor
- Legionella Control
- Personal Grooming, Body Art and Health Care
- Pests and Vermin
- Stormwater Pollution
- Swimming Pools
- Wastewater Management Systems
- Supported Residential Facilities
- Regional Public Health Plan
- Useful links
- Wild Mushroom Poisoning Warning 2023
Help me book
Book your immunisations with usMake a booking